Facebook will let some of its users see if they interacted with Russian propaganda (FB)

Standard

mark zuckerberg

  • Some Facebook users will be able to see which Russia-linked pages they interacted with on the social network.
  • Facebook still won’t tell users whether the propaganda they saw was a paid ad or a post in the News Feed.
  • The move follows in the footsteps of Twitter.

Facebook said Wednesday that it would let some of its users see whether they liked or followed pages belonging to Russia-linked operatives that sowed political divisiveness around the 2016 US presidential election.

A new page to be published on Facebook’s help center by the end of the year will show whether some accounts interacted with the Russia-linked accounts, Facebook said in a blog post on Wednesday.

“This is part of our ongoing effort to protect our platforms and the people who use them from bad actors who try to undermine our democracy,” Facebook said.

Roughly 150 million of Facebook’s users saw posts shared by pages belonging to the Russian propaganda organization known as the Internet Research Agency, Facebook previously told US investigators.

While Facebook will show some users the affiliated pages they liked or followed, the company maintains that technical and privacy reasons keep it from showing whether such propaganda was merely shown to someone as a paid ad or as a post in the News Feed.

Facebook’s move to disclose more of the Russian activity on its platform to users follows Twitter’s plan to create a public hub that allows anyone to see all ads running on its platform and how they are targeted.

SEE ALSO: 18 political ads you may have seen on Facebook that were actually made by Russian trolls

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: Vladimir Putin could secretly be one of the richest men in the world — an investigative reporter who spent 4 years in Russia explains

Facebook will let some of its users see if they interacted with Russian propaganda (FB) syndicated from http://feeds.feedburner.com/businessinsider/law

Advertisements

The mysterious death of a Border Patrol agent is prompting new calls for Trump’s border wall

Standard

border wall prototypes

  • Questions are lingering around the mysterious death of Rogelio Martinez, a border patrol agent who died in Texas last weekend after sustaining severe injuries.
  • Investigators have said they’re looking into whether a “potential assault” occurred, but cannot rule out the possibility it was an accident.
  • The incident has become a flashpoint in the ongoing debate over President Donald Trump’s long-promised border wall.

FBI officials said Tuesday they were investigating a “potential assault” that may have led to the death of a border patrol agent in southwest Texas last weekend, but they added that they could not rule out another cause of death.

The mysterious case of 36-year-old Rogelio Martinez’s death has prompted frenzied speculation that an ambush took place, perhaps at the hands of undocumented immigrants or drug traffickers, though officials have cautioned that the details around the death are hazy and they have not yet reached conclusions.

Officials from the federal Customs and Border Protection agency have said that Martinez and his fellow agent were “responding to activity” near a drainage culvert along Interstate 10 in Van Horn, Texas around 4 a.m. on Sunday when they were somehow hurt. Martinez’s partner then called for help and the pair were taken to a hospital, where Martinez later died from his injuries.

Authorities said another agent, who has not been identified, was also seriously injured in the incident, and both men suffered traumatic head injuries and broken bones.

“We call it potential because we do not yet have the full picture yet as to what transpired,” FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Emmerson Buie Jr. said at a press conference at the FBI’s El Paso office. He added that the bureau is offering a $25,000 reward for information that could lead to the case being solved.

border patrol agentsOne US official familiar with the investigation, however, told the Associated Press on Monday that investigators believe Martinez and the other agent may have sustained their injuries by falling into the culvert. The official added that Martinez’s partner has no recollection of the incident.

The local sheriff in Culberson County, where the incident occurred, also appeared skeptical that an attack was the cause of the injuries and death.

“The evidence is not obvious as to what happened out there,” Sheriff Oscar Carrillo told the Dallas Morning News.

‘We will build the Wall!

The National Border Patrol Council, the labor union representing the agents, has described the incident as an “ambush” and told media that Martinez died of blunt force trauma to the head.

“I have been told by several agents that it was a grisly scene, and that his injuries were very extensive,” council president Brandon Judd told The Washington Post. “We believe he was struck in the head with rocks, or multiple rocks.”

But despite the questions still surrounding Martinez’s death, Texas politicians have presumed that a crime occurred. Gov. Greg Abbott and Sen. Ted Cruz, both Republicans, have described the incident as an “attack.”

“This is a stark reminder of the ongoing threat that an unsecure border poses to the safety of our communities and those charged with defending them,” Cruz said in a statement.

President Donald Trump also seized on the death, which he suggested on Twitter was a criminal matter, as evidence of the pressing need for his long-promised wall along the US-Mexico border.

“Border Patrol Officer killed at Southern Border, another badly hurt,” he said. “We will seek out and bring to justice those responsible. We will, and must, build the Wall!”

SEE ALSO: The Trump administration just unveiled 8 prototypes for the border wall — see what they look like

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: Senator Bob Corker slams Trump and says he has ‘great difficulty with the truth’

The mysterious death of a Border Patrol agent is prompting new calls for Trump’s border wall syndicated from http://feeds.feedburner.com/businessinsider/law

Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter has been accused of rape, but he says the encounter was consensual

Standard

nick carter

  • Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter has been accused of rape by Melissa Schuman, a former pop singer.
  • Schuman wrote a detailed blog post alleging that Carter sexually assaulted her in 2002. 
  • In a statement, Carter said he is “shocked and saddened” by the allegations, and that he believed the interaction was “consensual.”

 

Melissa Schuman, a former member of the early 2000s pop group Dream, has accused Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter of rape. In a statement, Carter said he believed the encounter to be consensual.

In a detailed blog post, Schuman said that the alleged assault occurred in 2002, after she and Carter were cast in the same made-for-TV movie, “The Hollow.”

She said that Carter invited her to his Santa Monica apartment and performed oral sex on her, despite Schuman’s insistence that she “didn’t want go any further” beyond kissing. She said Carter demanded oral sex in return, and that he angrily ignored her protest: “I told him that I was a virgin and I didn’t want to have sex,” Schuman wrote.

“He was visually and clearly growing very angry and impatient with me. I couldn’t leave. It was evident to me, that I couldn’t leave. He was stronger and much bigger than me, and there was no way I would be able to open that door or have anyone help me,” she continued. “When he placed my hand on his penis my thought was the only way to get out was to get him to finish what he had started.”

According to Schuman, at that point, Carter took her into a bedroom, “threw [her] on the bed,” and raped her.

“He was heavy, too heavy to get out from under him. Then I felt it,” she wrote. “It was done.”

“I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations,” Carter told Business Insider in a statement Wednesday. “Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”

In her blog post, Schuman went on to write that Carter began calling her repeatedly in weeks following the alleged incident.

“He jammed my phone with calls for weeks, leaving me messages demanding I speak with him,” she wrote. Eventually, she said, he left “one last nasty, angry message.”

Schuman said she she had considered pressing charges at the time, but that she feared the effect it may have on her career.

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: A legal loophole prevents most workplace sexual-harassment cases from seeing the light of day — here’s how to close it

Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter has been accused of rape, but he says the encounter was consensual syndicated from http://feeds.feedburner.com/businessinsider/law